Occupy Your Bank Account
Have you seen the recent altdotlife Finance »Occupy Your Bank Account thread*? There are a lot of altdotlife members who’re looking for concrete actions to take in their own back yard, or in this case, their own bank accounts.
- The Move Your Money project is a nonprofit campaign that encourages individuals and institutions to divest from the nation’s largest Wall Street banks and move to local financial institutions.
- What’s the advantage of brokerage houses like Vanguard and Charles Schwab vs. Chase or Bank of America?
- Here’s an interesting graphic of banks that have been bought, sold, and consolidated.
- Want to know more about credit unions? See how to find local CUs and a history of CUs. Did you know that many credit unions give you fee-free access to the ATMS at your local 7-11?
- In the UK? Check out the Co-operative Bank and Smile.
- Already switched to a local bank or credit union? Consumerist is looking for bank switching stories.